Sunday, August 24, 2008

This is your brain on drugs!

I ain't saying I'm right

What I'm saying you won't understand

This is the mind of a progressive black man

This is a poetic explanation of "Who I am"

The reasons that create the who

The meanings of what I've been through

The fact is you won't understand

So maybe I shouldn't attempt to expand

Your mind taking your time with an ultimate plan

Of improving us all since they say it takes a village

My peers think me writing is simply ridiculous

The truth of the matter is that you probably do to

Truth is an opinion so everyone's right

But enlightening my people helps me sleep better at night

Years ago I called my poetry flow

Maybe it's because that's what hustlers know

Maybe it's because I thought in a box

I say I thought my being was simply the block

Seducing my demise in spite of my pride

Which is why I didn't see my life past the young age of 25

Hostile but staying on track

I'm high but you think you know that

The drugs don't make me who I am

Well if you think that then you can

Because how you interpret my thoughts

Won't make me change them or stop

The drugs that I choose are widely approved

By you, and your FDA since they mellow my moods

Featured in commercial breaks on your 10 O'clock news

In spite of these facts still you prod me with acts

The Harrison long ago begun your attacks

1914 came early your ax

And in 2008 you have the audacity to ask

A dumb ass question like "What it means to be Black"

In America

Like I would be lying if I said it was terrible

But really I would

Because crabs in a barrel keep us stuck in the hood

The doubt that we frequently flirt with is real

Embedded in our beings forcing brothers to steal

From brothers to offer mothers of there children a meal

Or else do time for a crime of not paying the bill

To the same government soon to be run by one of us

The same government made my granny ride the back of the bus

I will attempt to complete this without anger and fuss

But I'm hostile at times for fear there not hearing us

So if I must then I must with my mind or my musk

Run you away with the smell stuck in your noise for a month

Wondering how children of civil rights leaders faltered

Murdering there own and refusing to get close to an alter

Acting like a nigga that ain't never had shit

But it ain't been long since them crackers had ships

And brought us cross that water on the middle passage

Bread us like bulls and told us God wanted this

Kept us from reading and writing making us real niggas

And five generations later they wonder why we pull triggers


 


 

No comments: